Re: [exim] Exim4 smarthost configuration help (debian)

Author: DJ-TW
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Exim4 smarthost configuration help (debian)
There was an error in the first reply in the transport, see below for fix.

> First of all, let me start saying that I'm a total nb as far as mail server
> administration is concerned (it's not my primary job).
>
> I configured exim4 as smarthost, forwarding the emails to
> mail.cacetech.com. That works perfectly, including TLS authentication, i.e.
> if I run "echo foo | mail -s test foo@???" the mail gets sent
> correctly.
>
> The problem. The sender address gets rewritten properly (root -->
> gianluca.varenni@???), the local recipient don't get rewritten
> properly.
>
> So if I run "echo foo | mail -s test gianlucav" the mail gets sent to
> gianlucav@??? (instead of gianluca.varenni@???)

    How about:
        remote_smtp:
          driver    = smtp
          headers_rewrite = *@cacetech.com "{if eq{$1}{gianlucav}\
                    {gianluca.varenni}fail}\
                    @cacetech.com" frs
          hosts_try_auth = <your_smtp_server>
          return_path = gianluca.varenni@???
          <whatever other options you might need to add>

    (Put this in your transports.  There's better ways of doing this, but just do this right quick
    so that you can get some idea of what you could do.)

> The update-exim4.conf.conf file is the following one
>
> # /etc/exim4/update-exim4.conf.conf
> #
> # This is a Debian specific file
>
> dc_eximconfig_configtype='satellite'
> dc_other_hostnames='cace.local'
> dc_local_interfaces='127.0.0.1'
> dc_readhost='cacetech.com'
> dc_relay_domains=''
> dc_minimaldns='false'
> dc_relay_nets=''
> dc_smarthost='mail.cacetech.com'
> CFILEMODE='644'
> dc_use_split_config='false'
> dc_hide_mailname='true'
> dc_mailname_in_oh='true'
> dc_localdelivery='mail_spool'
>
> email-addresses is the following one
>
> # This is /etc/email-addresses. It is part of the exim package
> #
> root: gianluca.varenni@???
> gianlucav: gianluca.varenni@???
>
> Can you point me in the right direction? I looked around for some easy
> guide on it, but I couldn't find anything useful (maybe I'm just blind)?
>
> Thanks in advance
> GV

    You're not blind, Exim is huge, especially for someone new.  Might I suggest that for your
    configuration file you completely scrap that thing and start from scratch using
    whatever the manual tells you.  spec.txt is your friend.  I'm on my fourth or fifth
    read, but it helped.

TW

----- End forwarded message -----