[exim] Double quotes in transport command

Author: Marcin Krol
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] Double quotes in transport command
Hello everyone,

I'm trying to pass mail subject to the transport command:

command = /etc/domeny/mailfilter.cmd  -j \"$h_subject\"    -u  ${lookup{$domain}lsearch*{/etc/virtual/domainowners}{$value}} ...

What I get as an argument to mailfilter.cmd, however, is one double quote!

-j " -u da7

? Just why does it do that?

If I delete backslashed doublequotes, the $h_subject variable gets expanded as expected, but I need to quote it to be passed as single argument in case subject contains whitespace characters.

Docs say:

    If an argument appears in double quotes, backslash is interpreted as an escape character in the usual way.

But even if I use

-j "\"$h_subject\""

..the effect is still the same.

--