Re: [exim] exim behind a proxy

Author: John Robinson
To: german
CC: Exim Users
Subject: Re: [exim] exim behind a proxy
On 06/01/2008 09:24, german@??? wrote:
[...]
> telnet 194.97.54.34 25
> Trying 194.97.54.34...
> Connected to 194.97.54.34.
> Escape character is '^]'.
> 220 baloney.puettmann.net ESMTP Exim 3.36 #1 Sun, 06 Jan 2008 10:04:24 +0100
>
> It works :)
>
> If I understand it correctly, I have to send my mails with exim to the
> mailserver of my ISP, and the server directs them to the recepient.

Being behind the HTTP proxy doesn't appear to be affecting your ability
to send SMTP directly, but you do need to use your ISP's mail server as
a smart host; see here for details:
http://www.exim.org/exim-html-current/doc/html/spec_html/ch47.html#SECID240

If that gives errors about authentication, you may also need to
configure your exim to be an SMTP AUTH client; see
http://www.exim.org/exim-html-current/doc/html/spec_html/ch33.html#SECID170

> Or is
> it possible to send them without using the mailserver of the ISP?

If it was, it should have just worked out of the box. If your machine is
on the end of a dial-up connection (including most domestic and even
small-business class ADSL and cable broadband connections) you will have
trouble sending to a lot of destinations. A lot of sites now refuse to
accept such email because that's how spam bot-nets work.

Cheers,

John.