Re: [pcre-dev] PCRE 7.5-RC2 Release candidate

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Sheri
CC: pcre-dev
Subject: Re: [pcre-dev] PCRE 7.5-RC2 Release candidate
On Sun, 30 Dec 2007, Sheri wrote:

> "Add a call to |_set_printf_count_output(1)| at the beginning of |main|
> in pcregrep.c; by default VC CRT does not support the format "%n" and
> the program pcregrep.exe using such format would crash."

%n is utterly Standard C - standardised around 1990. I try very hard to
write only Standard C, 1990 version, only deviating when I have to
interact with the operating system, in the interests of portability.
Consequently, I'm afraid I have no interest in messing about for the
benefit of environments that cannot support Standard 1990 C. I know this
sounds harsh, but one has to draw a line somewhere. (I *have* deviated
from this in the matter of providing for the absence of certain Standard
library functions, notably memmove(), but that's as far as I'm prepared
to go, and I muttered an awful lot when I did it. :-)

Philip

--
Philip Hazel