Re: [exim] secondary MX: allow only a set of users

Author: Phil Pennock
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] secondary MX: allow only a set of users
On 2007-12-20 at 14:23 +0100, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> Look for 'smtp_reserve_hosts'. With this, you can allow the backup MX to
> connect to the master even when the master is already 4xx'ing other
> hosts because of things like smtp_load_reserve.

Look up Single Point Of Failure.

The point of secondary MX is to remove SPOFs whilst still accepting
email to within your administrative control, so that you can clear
things up quickly when problems are resolved and don't have to worry
about broken remote systems doing things like auto-unsubscribing you
from a mailing-list, etc.

If you're happy for mail to remain with the senders' systems, then you
don't need secondary MXs; if you treat email as sufficiently
mission-critical that you should be able to deliver mail within a
certain time-period, then secondary MXs aren't enough. Fully redundant
parallel delivery which works is hard, secondary MX is "good enough" for
most people. "The router crashed, mail couldn't get through for 10
minutes, but all the stuff sent by real MTAs went to the backup MX on
the different network and I've flushed the queues, so all delayed email
has now been delivered. If you don't have the important business
document yet, it wasn't sent or is still in the sender's systems for
some reason and it's their technical problem, not ours"

It's ensuring that delivery is as timely as possible with recovery
that's as quick as possible because delayed mail flushing is under the
control of people who _know_ when the problem is gone.

-Phil