Re: [exim] Out of Office and collateral spam

Author: Jeroen van Aart
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Out of Office and collateral spam
Phil (Medway Hosting) wrote:
>> The vacation utility on unix seems smart enough to not be a nuissance
>> and still be functional for those who need it.
>
> I don't know that offhand but as long as it only sends to known contacts
> then yes it would be ok to use.

To send to known contacts you need to have that stored somewhere. Seeing
there are many different ways for email clients to store contacts it
must be hard to implement. Perhaps you refer to addresses they sent
emails to, which are in some (personalised) whitelist?

The vacation program will not repeatedly email someone who already got a
vacation reply from you. Neither will it email mailinglists. At least I
have used it and didn't get kicked off of here and didn't see anything
on the list. http://www.linuxmanpages.com/man1/vacation.1.php

Gretings,
Jeroen