Re: [exim] BATV and sender verification.

Author: Christopher Meadors
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] BATV and sender verification.
On Tue, 2007-12-11 at 16:27 +0000, David Restall - System Administrator
wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have one user (having problems) send me emails. He's using BATV and I'm
> using sender callout. I bounce every one of his messages because exim
> does the callout on the envelope address. He was able to send until
> he started doing BATV. I've read the papers on BATV and from what I
> can see, he should be keeping track of his outgoing envelopes and they
> should come back as valid if I do a bounce. Can somebody confirm if my
> interpretation is correct on this.

If both are implemented correctly, BATV and sender verification callouts
should play well together.

BATV signs the "MAIL FROM:" return envelope address. Callouts should
use that address as the "RCPT TO:" with a null "MAIL FROM:<>". That
null sender will trigger the BATV check, which should test correctly.

If the callout is using the FROM: header received during the DATA phase
with a null sender, that could cause the BATV test to fail.

--
Chris