Re: [exim] Skipping local delivery, a good idea?

Author: Keith Edmunds
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Skipping local delivery, a good idea?
On Tue, 11 Dec 2007 11:46:55 +0100, tropfstein@??? said:

> Local deliveries are just a low percentage of all the e-mail traffic
> and I consider to skip them and deliver all e-mails via smtp.

Assuming your users' mail is stored on the SMTP server, typically for
access via IMAP or POP3, how do you intend that the mail gets from Exim to
whatever mail store you use? If you deliver via SMTP then, by definition,
you are delivering to an SMTP server of some sort. Eventually the mail
must leave the SMTP server environment and be put in a mail store of some
sort: that process is called 'local delivery' and that is what you intend
to omit.

Keith

--
Keith Edmunds

|  Tiger Computing Ltd  |  Helping businesses make the most of Linux  |
|  "The Linux Company"  |       http://www.tiger-computing.co.uk      |