Re: [exim] Fearure that Exim should have

Author: Eli Sand
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Fearure that Exim should have
> I seem to recall wanting this same functionality myself. I am
> currently using acl variables, but I believe it would look much better
> if the parameters could be passed in another way. This was written
> before there were named acl variables (back when there was just 0-9).

Personally I don't think that it would truly solve your problem of clutter -
you'd simply be putting the clutter somewhere else. In the end people would
have extremely long lines calling other acl sections, and then they would
complain about long acl lines and in an attempt to solve that they would
resort to using acl variables (as we currently have them) and then passing
those variables to acls to shorten the acl calls - by which time you'd have
more lines of code to do the same thing you do right now.

Not to mention the confusion you'd have reading the configuration file
should people choose to re-use variable names in different acl sections.
You'd have to carefully scan parts of the config file to find out exactly
what data is being passed where.

I'm not saying some overhaul to acl variables isn't something I've thought
about - I just believe that this particular request would not serve to
better Exim in the end.

Eli.