Re: [exim] Holding mail per recipient during Maildir relocat…

Author: Jethro R Binks
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Holding mail per recipient during Maildir relocation
On Thu, 29 Nov 2007, Kevin Colagio wrote:

> We are in the planning stages of moving mail from one location (within
> home directories) to another (a separate storage space). During the
> move of an individual's Maildir directory, I would like to hold the
> messages for that person and then release them for delivery once the
> move is complete. I don't want to stop everyone's mail at one time, but
> I'm also not adverse to working through groups of users.
>
> Ideally, Exim would use a text file as the indicator of which mail to
> hold. If the recipient is in that file, delivery to that address is not
> attempted. This makes it an easy process to update the file.

I once did this for a similar reason, and I still have the router:

defer_delivery:
driver = redirect
allow_defer
require_files = <; MAILSTORE/${lc:$domain}/defer/${lc:$local_part}
domains = +local_domains
data = :defer:
no_verify

In my case, the presence of the file named after the local part was enough
to cause the defer, so I could just "touch" and "rm" to activate and
de-activate, which is neater than reading and writing a whole file.

You could modify to extract just the first letter of the local part and
look for a file named after that, which would enable you to move them in
alphabetic groups.

Jethro.

Jethro R Binks
Computing Officer, IT Services