Re: [exim] Getting 421 message

Author: Graeme Fowler
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Getting 421 message
On Tue, 2007-11-27 at 05:42 -0800, sal983 wrote:
> When sending mails from our exim mail server to yahoo getting the following
> error message and sometimes yahoo allowing the mails to deliver to "spam"
> folder.
>
> "2007-11-27 17:00:07 1Ix7Wm-0004RS-DZ == testmail@??? R=external
> T=remote_smtp defer (0): SMTP error from remote mail server after initial
> connection: host a.mx.mail.yahoo.com [209.191.118.103]: 421 Message from
> (87.87.87.87) temporarily deferred - 4.16.50. Please refer to
> http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/mail/defer/defer-06.html"

Did you access the URL given? It's quite useful.

Yahoo operate a deferral system similar, but not the same as, basic
greylisting but they operate theirs on many different criteria. In my
experience *all* messages to yahoo.* domains get delayed for a period,
some short and some long but the one characteristic similarity is the
delay affects them all.

> where "87.87.87.87" is our mail server IP.

Is it? Looks like a Sky/Easynet broadband address to me. If it really is
your address, that probably explains why Yahoo are delaying your mail or
delivering it to their users' Spam folders. You should ideally be using
a non-domestic smarthost.

Of course, if you've replaced your real IP with a mde-up one, all the
above advice could be completely wrong. This is why we ask that you
don't obfuscate errors and/or log entries.

Graeme