Re: [exim] Mail relaying

Author: Renaud Allard
To: Ian Eiloart
CC: exim-users, Muhammed afsal
Subject: Re: [exim] Mail relaying

Ian Eiloart wrote:

> --On 14 November 2007 06:08:02 -0500 Muhammed afsal <afsal983@???>
> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Thanks for the response.
>>
>>> # reject spam at high scores (> 12)
>>> deny  message = This message scored $spam_score spam points.
>>>      spam = nobody:true
>>>       condition = ${if >{$spam_score_int}{120}{1}{0}}
>>> Below, you ask about storing these messages. You can't, because you've
>>> rejected the message. If it's a false positive, you can expect the sender
>>> to try some other contact method.

>> Can we asssign spam mails to a specific transport ( example : Deliver
>> to a specific folder through local_delivery transport) without denying
>> ?
>
> Yes, but that would be a bad idea, for several reasons.
>
> Many spambots will stop trying to send email to your server if you
> consistently reject their email.
>
> Delivering spam to a specific folder is completely pointless.
>
> Delivering false positives to that same folder makes it very likely that
> nobody will see the email. It is *much* better to deny the email, then the
> sender gets a chance to fix the problem. Denying messages will not generate
> collateral spam.

You are true, except that you can use fakereject (with the real refusal reason,
not the default message) and store those mails in the "spam folder". This does
not generate collateral spam, and allows you to browse through this folder from
time to time. Of course, you should take care to clean it from time to time.