著者: Phil Pennock
To: Mark Fletcher
CC: exim-users
題目: Re: [exim] [Exim] Exim4 trying to talk to GMAIL
On 2007-11-12 at 22:06 +0900, Mark Fletcher wrote:
> AND THAT NAILED IT! You were right in the very beginning. The issue was
> the port -- I was getting a similarly unhelpful failure in the debug
> output on ssl_connect() when I used port 25, but when I switched to port
> 587, bingo -- my mobile phone started vibrating!

Gmail's servers only advertise STARTTLS on port 25 if your source IP
address is in a netblock setup to make it so, by an organisation paying
money for the Premier version of Google Apps for your Domain. I forgot
this at first and the double-check I did was from such a whitelisted IP.
Oops.

So if STARTTLS was advertised on port 25 then:
 (a) lucky you, re Gmail, but unfortunately someone else is filtering
     your outbound port 25 connections with forced-proxy
 (b) it's not portable for other source IPs

The debug output which you already have will show if it was actually
advertised.

I don't think that there's a way to tell Exim to use SSL-on-connect for
outbound connections, so I can't really see how else Exim would have
started TLS and then failed.

-Phil