Re: [exim] [Exim] Exim4 trying to talk to GMAIL

Author: Mark Fletcher
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] [Exim] Exim4 trying to talk to GMAIL
On Sun, 2007-11-11 at 04:25 -0800, Phil Pennock wrote:
> On 2007-11-11 at 00:58 +0900, Mark Fletcher wrote:
> > >

> Answer: on the smtp transport.
>
> Eg:
> smarthost_smtp:
> driver = smtp
> port = 587
> hosts_require_tls = *
> hosts_require_auth = *
>
> which is roughly what my smtp transport on the laptop boils down to for
> Gmail, after all the string-expansions I have.

That pointed me in the right direction -- the transport was actually
called remote_smtp_smarthost. I asked the question because I had some
confusion on whether the Debian package had set me up to run from
multiple config files or one template one -- I was modifying the wrong
file and wondering why it wasn't having any effect... :-)

> $ f=your@???
> $ t=recipient@???
> $ printf "From: $f\nTo: $t\nSubject: test\n\nfoo" | exim -d+all $t \
>     2>&1 | tee exim.output.log

AND THAT NAILED IT! You were right in the very beginning. The issue was
the port -- I was getting a similarly unhelpful failure in the debug
output on ssl_connect() when I used port 25, but when I switched to port
587, bingo -- my mobile phone started vibrating!

Thanks a lot for your help.

Mark