Re: [exim] Is a secondary MX worth the effort? CONCLUSION

Author: Ken Price
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Is a secondary MX worth the effort? CONCLUSION
SUMMARY
-------
I want to thank everyone for their responses. While everyone's
situation will be different, I think this sums up the answer to my own
question:

Yes. A secondary MX is worth the added maintenance and configuration
headache if the costs of doing so make sense. Obviously various risk
management and business requirements are factored into that equation
which only you [or your business] can answer. All things being equal,
however, the ability to take control away from the sending mail server
and place it in your hands is worth the effort.

Now there were implementation questions/opinions posed by several
responders which I feel should be commented on. I'll assume that
everyone knows not to setup a "dumb" secondary MX which doesn't do any
validation and encourages backscatter/UCE of it's own.

So, either a "smart" secondary or a deferring 4xx secondary?

Sticking to the nature of this post, a defer-only 4xx secondary is
just about useless. Sure, you can use it in a SPAM honeypot fashion
to help reduce load on your primary, but I see *ZERO* value when the
primary is down. An intelligent secondary is the only way to go if
you determine a secondary MX is required.

In my situation, I have a pre-configured "Disaster Recovery" server
which already has a real-time, fully replicated [via VPN] copy of my
production MySQL server - so I already have all the domain/user data I
need to do email validation. It's practically sitting idle and would
make a wonderful secondary MX. Since Exim is already configured on
that box to take over primary MTA responsibilities, I'll be using
Postfix instead of going through the hassle of running multiple Exim
instances, but all MX functionality will be identical.

Thanks again to everyone!!
-Ken