Re: [exim] Is a secondary MX worth the effort?

Author: Ken Price
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Is a secondary MX worth the effort?
> To be a little bit more precise, you ask wheter a secondary MX located
> offsite (!) is worth the effort. You have not asked about running
> several MX servers on your primary site, where I consider a must-have

you're right. i didn't ask that because I have a load-balanced
cluster of mail servers at the primary location. Please see my
original post:
http://lists.exim.org/lurker/message/20071107.181404.35b21969.en.html

> Now, about running a secondary MX offsite....

<snip>
> regarding the user-database) and quite expensive (hardware,
> antispam-appliances, etc.).

Yes, I'm aware of how to correctly implement an intelligent secondary
and the costs associated with it. I'm looking for input on the
effectiveness of a secondary MX. The first sentence from my original
post:

"In a world where most MTA's will retry a message up to 5-7 days, is a
secondary MX worth the added maintenance and configuration headache?"

> Short summary:
> no.
> --

Is that your final answer? :-)