Re: [exim] Relayed Mail: sender domain in localdomains?

Author: Dave Evans
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Relayed Mail: sender domain in localdomains?
On Tue, Nov 06, 2007 at 10:45:04AM -0600, Jamyn wrote:
> I'm still trying to wrap my head around Exim syntax, but what I'm trying
> to do is:
>
> a) accept mail destined for local domains from other MTAs as usual.
> b) relaying: authenticated users: require their reply-to/from match an
> entry in /etc/localdomains, and
> c) only let them use a domain that is associated with their username
> (not other user's domains)
>
> I'm not even sure if (c) is possible, but I would really appreciate
> ideas on accomplishing (a) and (b).
> I will continue to dig around the documentation of course. Exim is just
> new territory for me :)

The first question to answer is: are you using Debian, and if so, do you want
to use Debian's method of configuring Exim? If so, then be aware that this is
/very/ different from the standard Exim configuration, and you should read the
docs that came with the package for further advice.

Otherwise, my advice to you would be to press on with the documentation. The
docs ("Exim 4 specification") are exceptionally good IMO, among the most
well-written, accurate and comprehensive documentation of software I've ever
seen.

Also, get yourself a copy of the default Exim configuration file (not the
Debian one: the one that comes with the original Exim distribution), read it,
read the comments within it, cross-reference it to the Specification, and
understand what it all means and how it works.

Good luck!

--
Dave Evans
http://djce.org.uk/