Re: [exim] add_header when header already exists?

Author: Patrick von der Hagen
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] add_header when header already exists?
Am Dienstag, den 30.10.2007, 13:47 -0400 schrieb W B Hacker:
> Patrick von der Hagen wrote:

[...]
> > The documentation doesn't mention the case that a header might already
> > exist. But I think I could solve the issue using string-expansion anyway.
> >

> Not sure what 'solve' means to you, but it is dirt-simple to do some tests.

"solve" means some solutions like "only add a header if no previous one
existes", which might work by either wrapping the add-statement in an
condition or (since I add several other spam-related headers anyway)
modifying one of the existing add-statement to use string-expansion to
create one or more header-lines, which would be an alternative solution
of preventing multiple headers.

The reason I mentioned the issue on this list: I don't consider the
documentation to be absolutely specific and the way I understood it my
question wasn't answered by the documentation. So I hoped for
clarification here regarding the actual and the intended behaviour.
Testing might have resulted in "it adds a second header", but then I
would have asked "did I miss something that might enable exim to
suppress the "add_header" if a header with the same name an the same
value already exists".

--
CU,
Patrick.