Re: [exim] Retaining Spam

Author: Ian Eiloart
To: David Sharpe, exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Retaining Spam

--On 25 October 2007 16:42:45 +0100 David Sharpe
<david.sharpe@???> wrote:

> My question is this. Using the software noted above will it be possible
> to filter spam differently for each user (local user preferences), while
> also preserving all spam in a "Spam" folder within each users Maildir.

Yes, definitely that's possible. It does somewhat depend on how you manage
your users, but you could provide a web application that saves preferences
in an sql database that spamassassin can query.

I'd recommend that you don't save spam to a different mailbox. Many users
will not check that mailbox. It's better that you reject the spam (you can
do this if you use exim with spamc/spamd in an acl). If the email is
rejected in error, then the sender will find out about it. If it's placed
in a spam mailbox in error, then it will likely go unnoticed.

You'll also require far fewer storage resources if you reject rather than
storing spam.

Whichever way you go, you should make the best use that you can of Exim's
ACLs before you get to spamassassin.

--
Ian Eiloart
IT Services, University of Sussex