Re: [exim] Exim and BCC Headers

Author: Marc Haber
To: Exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Exim and BCC Headers
On Fri, 26 Oct 2007 13:03:33 +0200, Samuel Vogel <samy-delux@???>
wrote:
>I'm sending a newsletter using PHP. I am using exim 4.63 in Debian Etch.
>I do give exim roughly 17k email adresses as "Bcc:", but it does not
>send out all the mails. I heard about an "Bcc:" limit, but couldn't find
>such thing for exim.

What do your logs say?

It is generally not a very good idea to have a single message with
thousands of recipients since exim basically reverts to single
threading in this case (having only one queue runner doing the
delivery). Better send the message multiple times with a smaller
number of recipients.

Other MTAs might be more efficient in this case.

>Also I had a different idea and would like to know if this was possible:
>Could I tell Exim to covert the "Bcc:" lines to actual "To:" lines?

Why? This is only going to trip spam filters and to - much worse -
expose your customer data.

Are you aware that mail delivery is generally not controlled by the
headers, but by the envelope?

>Or
>could I give all the addresses as "To:" and tell exim to split them up?

No. Exim cannot do this without serious massaging.

>Also, please don't point me to mailing list programs like mailman. I do
>handle unsubscribing in myself and do have the mail addresses in my
>database and do not want to incorporate them into mailman, since I would
>have to keep 2 places synchronous.

There are other programs to send mail to a number of recipients pulled
in from the database. But you are of course free to reinvent the
wheel.

Greetings
Marc