[exim] Handling undesirable headers, was: The dreaded dispo…

Author: Jethro R Binks
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] Handling undesirable headers, was: The dreaded disposition-notification-to header
On Thu, 25 Oct 2007, Andrew Johnson wrote:

> #     Disposition-Notification-To:
> #     Receipt-Requested-To:
> #     Confirm-Reading-To:
> #     MDRcpt-To:
> #     MDSend-Notifications-To:
> #     Smtp-Rcpt-To:
> #     Return-Receipt-To:
> #     Read-Receipt-To:
> #     X-Confirm-Reading-To:
> #     X-Acknowledge-To:
> #     Delivery-Receipt-To:
> #     X-PMrqc
> #     Errors-To

(Useful list, thanks).

Along similar lines, does anyone have a list of headers on incoming mail
for which it is desirable to rename or delete? My list (which I do not
yet do anything with) has:

X-UID
Status
X-Status
X-UIDL
X-Keywords
X-Mozilla-Status
X-Mozilla-Status2

plus potentially some of the ones quoted above.

The problem with these is that only mail clients are supposed to be using
these headers internalyl to track the status of messages; having them
already present on incoming mail can mess mail boxes up, possibly
maliciously.

Jethro.

Jethro R Binks
Computing Officer, IT Services