Re: [exim] queue_only

Etusivu
Poista viesti
Vastaa
Lähettäjä: W B Hacker
Päiväys:
Vastaanottaja: exim users
Aihe: Re: [exim] queue_only
Marc Silver wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am specifically interested in using the queue_only method to defer
> mail until after hours for a particular MTA. I have this working
> correctly.
>
> My question is this... will Exim be able to cope with +- 200,000 mails
> in it's queue (on average around 3.9 GB for all these mails)

You've not specified what sort of hardware resources OR bandwidht youve given
it, but absent severe limits there, I 'd say it can.

> comfortably, or am I likely to run into problems once I restart exim and
> the queue runners kick off?

Presuming you 'aren't quite there yet' anyway - take it slowly.

Start by triggering queue runners during the day at, say 1 hour, then 2 hour,
then [progressivel longer] intervals so the max load has not had time to accumulate.

See how that goes before dumping the whole load onto it in one go.

> Is anyone else using this, and what kind of volumes are you queueing?
>
> Thanks,
> Marc

The settings yes. The volume? Not even when having to store-not-forward until
a new server could be built.

OTOH, we've had many 'bad hair' days with zombots and one determined DOS attack
where a far lerger volume was 'offered'.

Apples to pinballs though.

Those don't count, as most traffic offered never made it to the queue, and
up-front rejection doesn't use anywhere near the b/w you will need for 'traffic'.

BTW - that may be your actual limiting factor.
Not the raw byte-count queued, but message-count. 'n' distant servers have to be
contacted, and the smtp 'handshakes' gone through at *their* rate of speed as
well as your capability. Not to mention grey listing, errors in transmission
requiring multiple attempts.

IOW - you may see off 200K message in an hour or three - or morning may come
before you've transferred all of the previous day's work.

Too much of the environment is not under your control.

HTH,

Bill