[exim] Server Configuration?

Author: JoshFowler
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] Server Configuration?

I wanted to ask everyone for suggestions on my setup.

I currently have a Linux server with kernel 2.4.21, exim version 4.63, and
php version 5.1.6.

My setup atm is that I am running a cron job that runs every 5 mins and
mails out 1200 emails with the mail() function. I have been researching
different options and can't seem to find a good configuration. I have
disabled spamassassin so that isn't slowing it down either.

The server maxes out at about 300 emails a min from my calculations. I was
able to get it configured to do that. To be honest, I need it faster. Our
company has a weekly newsletter that we send out and it has now gotten to
the point that their are 1.2 million subscribers to it. So it's not like I
am trying to send out spam or anything, it is a newsletter that people have
subscribed to. At this configuration it takes 4 days to send out a weekly
newsletter, if the list gets much bigger people are going to be getting
their email a week late.

My questions are this. Would having a separate smtp server and have it
connect to that to send be faster? Or is there a better way then the mail()
function to get them out?

Really I just need suggestions on making it faster. We do have a separate
test linux server with the same configuration I have thought spliting the
list in 2 and sending, that would cut the time in half at least.