Re: [exim] Email alias with plus addressing

Author: Rich Sage
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Email alias with plus addressing

> Ryan Marks wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I am running Exim 4.63 on WHM 10.8.0 cPanel 10.9.1-S14304
> and RedHat
> > Enterprise 3 i686 - WHM X v3.1.0.
> >
> > I would like to begin using email addresses that have a local part
> > suffix, reply+372943@??? for example. Within
> > /etc/valiases/mydomain.com, the following lines is present
> along with
> > others aliases:
> >
> > reply@???: "|/home/user/reply.php"
> > *: :fail: No Such User Here
> >
> > The php script is setup to be executable and executes
> correctly when
> > an email is sent to reply@???. I do not plan on having a
> > reply mailbox defined on mydomain.com, but can do so if it's
> > necessary. Can someone please assist me so email can be
> received at reply+*@????
> >

> I am not sure I understand what you really want, but you can have a
> setup like this:
> in your routers:
> reply_router:
>         driver          = accept
>         require_files   = /home/user/reply.php
>         local_part_suffix_optional
>         local_part_prefix = reply+
>         transport       = replypipe

> in your transports:
> replypipe:
>         driver          = pipe
>         command         = /home/user/reply.php
>         return_path_add = false
>         return_fail_output = true
>         log_output      = true
>         home_directory  = "/tmp"
>         current_directory = "/tmp"

> This will execute reply.php piped with the contents of the mail every
> time
> reply+***** is seen.

We use a similar setup here, using prefix.1234@???, which is parsed
using Exim's filtering feature (assuming you have filtering enabled and
don't have access to the Exim configuration file). In our
/etc/vfilters/mydomain.com file, I have:

if
$original_local_part matches "^prefix\\\.[0-9]+\\$"
then
pipe "php -q /home/user/script.php"
endif

with the script running a regular expression match to extract the number
from the destination address.

We're running WHM/cPanel here on FC3 with this working fine.

-Rich