Re: [exim] How to stop spoofed "From" address

Author: John W. Baxter
To: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] How to stop spoofed "From" address
On 10/17/07 9:00 PM, "W B Hacker" <wbh@???> wrote:

> accept
> condition = ${if >{${eval:$acl_m18}}{${eval:$acl_m5}}{1}{0}}
> control = fakereject/HAS BEEN DELIVERED, but marked as Spam \
> so MIGHT NOT BE READ!
>
> logwrite = DS14A Fake Rejected
>
> Even so, not all senders will have bothered to read the 'message' when they
> get
> the rejection.

And some wouldn't have a chance to, if they use one of the Exchange/Outlook
combinations which helpfully replace the message with a generic unknown user
message (not quoted since I forget the exact wording).

But that's nearly moot, since Terry's legit correspondents would have no
reason to spoof his From: information.

And the overall idea is pretty safe for Terry, since he knows he hasn't, for
example, set up GMail to spoof his From: and with CCs to him. (That's
another valid use case for the From: coming in seemingly "spoofed".)

On the other hand, I haven't gotten any spam to any of my accounts for quite
a while that has that account (or any of my accounts) as a From: I guess my
addresses are known to a different subset of spammers.

--John