[exim] router failure during ACL

Author: Terry Calie
To: Exim-users
Subject: [exim] router failure during ACL
Consider the line below in an ACL acl_smtp_rcpt section:

require verify = recipient

It's my understanding that the above ACL line tests the recipient
address during SMTP time to see if it is valid. I believe that means
the address is passed through the routers.

If I am correct, and I have the following very simple router:

faileverthing:
     driver = redirect
     allow_fail
     data = :fail: nothing is allowed to get through

The response to the RCPT smtp command will be a 5xx error, right?

If I don't include the "require verify = recipient", the message will be
accepted (assuming no other ACL's decline it) and returned to the sender
as a bounce message once it hits this router in the processes after SMTP
acceptance. Correct as well?

Thanks,
Terry