Re: [exim] retry times

Author: Exim Mailing List
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] retry times
On Thu, Oct 11, 2007 at 12:03:30PM -0400, Sergei Gerasenko wrote:
> > 1. What version of Exim are you using? Make sure you are using 4.68
> > as there were some minor retry issues resolved in recent versions.
>
> I'm using 4.50-8. I know it must be pretty old but I can't upgrade my
> machines to a higher version right now. Too much trouble because I want
> to stay with Debian packages. Upgrading exim would mean upgrading
> the whole distribution and I'm not looking forward to much more serious
> problems than exim retrying to deliver messages too frequently :)

Your problems may be a result of having such an old version. Hard to
say, but that version is 2.5 years old. If you can't upgrade your
distro, I'll leave it to someone else to look at it then. It's too
time consuming to try and manage all the version changes that have
happened since then to see whether or not its known buggy behavior or
a config problem.

> > One of the easiest ways would be to use a system_filter and inside it
> > put something like:
> >
> >   if error_message and not first_delivery
> >   then
> >      seen finish
> >   endif

> Can the same thing be done with a rule?

A rule? Do you mean an ACL or a router? I suppose you could do it
with a router, sure. This is off of the top of my head, so it may need
some adjusting, but something like this should work:

kill_bounces:
driver = redirect
senders = :
condition = ${if !first_delivery}
allow_fail
data = :fail: rejecting second delivery attempt of bounce message
no_verify

--
Dean Brooks
dean@???