Re: [exim] NATted exim on receive

Author: Graeme Fowler
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] NATted exim on receive
On Wed, 2007-10-10 at 16:11 +0100, Chris Edwards wrote:
> As you know, Alun's talking about SMTP connections to hosts which are not
> supposed to receive external mail. My reading is there are two cases:
>
> - Where the recipient email address corresponds to some host
> under *.aber.ac.uk, then the attempt will simply be rejected cleanly
> with no further penalty.

Aha - I'd read this without the wildcard originally. I even went back
and read it again and still couldn't see it... forgive me, second week
of the students being back :)

> In my view the idea of such a responder is a good idea. Sites who don't
> have a linux firewall (or who don't wish to run such stuff on their linux
> firewall itself) could do similar with a some sort of policy-based network
> routing rules and a dedicated responder machine.

I agree; this seems to be quite a powerful idea. Turn it on its' head
and you might find that you can isolate any locally infected machines
which are running their own spambot (as long as it tries to go direct),
too.

Graeme