Re: [exim] Outgoing mail has wrong IP address

Author: Washington Odhiambo
To: Kris Monstad
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Outgoing mail has wrong IP address
On 10/5/07, Kris Monstad <kris.monstad@???> wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I have a problem concerning exim - which Im brand new to - which I'll try
> and describe...
>
> Currently we have smtp from the outside world coming to our gateway machine,
> which runs exim, and then onto our main mail machine (exim too) via a
> 'dc_smarthost' entry. The mapping to gateway is done by the company we lease
> the subnet from. Incoming mail works fine.

Is this how it is, diagrammatically?

Internet -> Your Provider -> Your GW -> Your internal server.

Or maybe the "Your Provider" does not give an intermediate server...

> However, on it's way out there is no analogue, mail is just sent from our
> main mail server and leaves via gateway, without any relay. So it is not
> picking up the gateway IP address and, as a result, picking up the same
> external mapping on it's way out. So outgoing mail is arriving with people
> having come from some spurious address belonging to the company we lease
> from.

I don't understand what is "there is no analogue".... I assume that
diagrammatically, it is like this:

Your internal server -> Your GW ??"Without any relay" does not make
sense here. Your GW relays for your internal server, and hence your
LAN hosts:-)

> This has only come to light due to this wrong address being blacklisted on
> some spam site - i suspect this is how our mail has worked for some time.

Which one is the wrong address?
Since you need help, I believe you should just reveal all details.
Security by obscurity does not really make it easy for us to help you.
Please show us some data.

> Can I have outgoing mail send from main mail server to gateway and for
> gateway to relay to the outside world, ie: a mirror image of how incoming
> works?

That should work perfectly, as long as your gateway machine has a
static IP which is correctly mapped in DNS by the company you lease
IPs from.

> We are using Exim 4.43.

Debian-ism I believe. Exim s now at version 4.68. Please upgrade to
enjoy newer features and bug fixes!

./Wash