Re: [exim] is there a way to prevent host based defer...

Author: Jeff Boehlke
To: iane, exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] is there a way to prevent host based defer...
Thank you Ian for your reply.

I have read those sections of the book as well. I forgot to mention that we are also working with the vendor to find out why some connections are being dropped - so I hope I did not give the impression that I think the problem is all to do with Exim. I also know that I don't know it all and could probably do things better as well.

When we first started seeing the delays, I had some queue lengths that were up to 30,000 messages. We went to the split queue, and also changed to queue only mode with frequent queue runners for awhile which helped. After that we might see 4,000 - 7,000 lengths. I also found that if I froze the offending message(s) and then started a queue runner with -qf that would help clear it out.

Since then, I have changed again and gone with the method listed below. Now my queue lengths are usually under 200 messages which is much better. Perhaps this is the best I can do, I suppose I should let it run for awhile without intervening and see how it goes.

Here is what I would like to see, if it is possible; when Exim attempts to relay a message out to one of the IP address it resolves for the vendors system, if there is a problem in delivery, will it only affect that message and not subsequent messages or the retries for that or other messages? It seems that the retry goes to the same IP address, which is probably usually ok, but in this case, since there are many other alternate hosts that could be tried, I would like to see if I can get the system to attempt another look up to use one of those others. I have thought about just listing all the hosts and doing some kind of fall back smart host type delivery. However, this defeats the vendors load balancing system and of course they would rather have us resolve an IP address for each delivery.

So I hope this helps to clarify my situation.

Thanks,
Jeff