Re: [exim] about installing and running exim

Etusivu
Poista viesti
Vastaa
Lähettäjä: Ted Cooper
Päiväys:
Vastaanottaja: exim-users @ exim. org
Aihe: Re: [exim] about installing and running exim
Emmanuel Salinas wrote:
> first: I wrote wrong
> is have to be BIN_DIRECTORY= /usr/exim/bim
>
> so i do this
> ./usr/exim/bin/exim -bV
>
> I think that my exim is installed, now I have to configure /etc/exim/exim.conf
>
> so.. how can I create a script reference to exim on /etc/rc.d?

<zealot>
Welcome to Slackware - please poke around and learn the inner workings
of pretty much everything. If you need to know how something has been
compiled on the system, check out the source directory which contains a
tar ball including the script used to compile it along with all patches
and support files.

Slackware doesn't have exim as a package. Like most things on Slackware
not included in the base distro, you do it yourself and thank the giant
spaghetti monster for it (well actually .. you thank Patrick Volkerding
for it) :)
There is a slackware-current branch which holds packages for the current
version of everything included in the distro and there's a outside
program called slack-get that will download/update them all for you.
If you're slightly insane like me and have been around Slackware for
long enough, you learn how everything is compiled on the system and when
a bugfix comes out, you just compile and install it yourself.
</zealot>

Using the full path negates the whole path issue.
To get exim to install into the "right" place on Slackware you needed to
set BIN_DIRECTORY=/usr/bin. I say "right" because it's really all up to
you, but the PATH is not set to search /usr/local/bin and the like. This
is why you ran into the file not found problem.

/etc/rc.d isn't cluttered by crap so if you want to start something not
already included in the system, just make your own rc.exim file and call
it from rc.local (or start exim directly in rc.local)

Replacing /usr/bin/sendmail with a symlink to wherever you put exim is
all that's needed to replace it.
You might want to use pkgtool to uninstall the rest of the sendmail
support files as you wont need them, or just use removepkg sendmail.

Actually configuring exim is going to depend greatly on what you want to
do, but the default config file is pretty darn good start.

The advantage of Slackware is that you are free to set things up as you
see fit and nothing from the distro is going to get in your way.

Have fun!
Ted.

PS Yes, I am a Slackware Zealot.

--