[exim] How can I configure exim to sent RFC compliant bounce…

Autor: Enrico Scholz
A: exim-users
Assumpte: [exim] How can I configure exim to sent RFC compliant bounces?
Hi,

does there exist an option which allows me to send correctly encoded
bounces? By default, exim appends only the original message and violates
RFC 2821 and 1652 by this action.

E.g. assume a message like

| Subject: TestÄabc
|
| test

(note the german umlaut in the header). Although this mail violates RFC
2821 2.3.1 "Mail Objects", it is accepted by 'exim'. These missing sanity
checks are a minor issue only (causing bounces when (not immediately)
following routers are having more strict settings),

The real problem occurs, when next router has a permanent problem
(e.g. LMTP mailbox is full, strict sanity checks on body) and rejects
the mail. Then, 'exim' generates the bounce by appending the original
mail with the german umlaut and tries to send it as-is.

There should be set at least some MIME headers and the BODY=8BITMIME
SMTP option when sending the mail along the Return-Path. Currently, this
bounce can be rejected and stays frozen in the mail queue.

Result is that the recipient will not get the mail and the sender will
not be informed that the delivery failed.

Therefore: is there an option how I can enforce MIME headers and
BODY=8BITMIME for bounces? MIME headers seem to be solvable by a
custom $bounce_message_file, but not the BODY=8BITMIME.

Related (but no sufficient for current issue): how can I reject mails which
do not comply to RFC 2821 (8bit in headers and/or missing BODY=8BITMIME but
8bit in body)?

Questions are about exim-4.63-3.el5.

Enrico