Re: [exim] HELO/EHLO reject rates

Author: ROGERS Richard
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] HELO/EHLO reject rates
Interesting observation. Unfortunately I don't keep historical data for
individual rejection reasons (possibly I should), but my feeling (and
it's only that) is that there has been an increase in the use of domain
literals as HELO/EHLO strings. Although (AFAIK) these are perfectly
legal, we now reject mail where the HELO/EHLO string is a domain literal
of the sending IP address AND there is no rDNS for the sending IP
address.

We also reject where the HELO/EHLO string is a single word (i.e. no "."
in it, so it can't be a FQDN or domain literal) AND there is no rDNS on
the sending IP.

No complaints about either of these so far (they probably count for
upwards of 5% of all rejections, despite being fairly late in the
sequence of tests).

I'd love to reject wherever there is no rDNS, but I think there would be
too many false positives involved. (I know that some here take the view
that this is not a false positive, but our users are likely to regard a
message that is not spam, and does not originate from a known source of
spam, as one that should be delivered). That's not to say it can't be
given a score in SpamAssassin though.

On a slightly related issue - I have an idea that the hit rate from RBLs
(we prinicpally use MAPS+ and Spamhaus) may not be as high is it was a
couple of months ago. Does anyone else have the same feeling (or any
data to confirm/deny)?

Regards

Richard

--