Re: [pcre-dev] Msys output from Make Install (following conf…

Αρχική Σελίδα
Συντάκτης: Sheri
Ημερομηνία:
Προς: Craig Silverstein
Υ/ο: pcre-dev
Αντικείμενο: Re: [pcre-dev] Msys output from Make Install (following configure /make)
Craig Silverstein wrote:
> } This output suggests something is wrong with the shared
> } libraries. There is also a missing file for pcrecpp (see the end).
>
> The same error is given for pcreposix. It's definitely an artifact of
> the build system, but I don't really understand it. libtool is black
> art, and I don't know what it has to do to work on msys. But
>
> } gcc -O3 -s -o .libs/pcretest.exe pcretest.o ./.libs/libpcreposix.dll.a
>
> .dll.a?? That's an awfully suspicious looking file extension.
>
> However, it seems to work for the build -- Sheri, you don't say, but
> do 'make' and 'make check' complete without error? Then it's only the
> installing that's the problem.
>
> I found the following comment on the web. I don't know if it still
> applies or not. You might want to try it and see if it works.
>
> ---
> https://lintouch.org/repos/lintouch/msys-mingw/packaging/trunk/mingw/mingw-setup.txt
>
> The libtool shipped with the packages above is unable create DLLs on
> Windows. The reason for that is the file magic utility is missing
> (which libtool heavily depends on).
>
> The real solution to this problem would be to install the file magic.
> However, I could not find a port of the file magic for MinGW (beware
> the one from the GnuWIN32 project does not work as expected) and I did
> not have time to port the utility from sources.
>
> So, I have to patch the autofiles a bit:
>
> 1. in ``/usr/share/aclocal/libtool.m4``, find the definition of
>    ``AC_DEPLIBS_CHECK_METHOD`` and assign::

>      lt_cv_deplibs_check_method=pass_all

>    in the mingw* section.

> 2. in ``/usr/share/libtool/ltmain.sh``, replace all occurences of
>    ``allow_undefined=yes`` with ``allow_undefined=no`` to resolve all
>    external dependencies when building on Windows.
> ---

> It seems likely this is an issue for you as well, since some of the
> comments in the 'make install' output you posted mentioned 'file
> magic.' So this might be what I'd try first.
>
> It looks like we're past all the pcre issues and onto msys issues! I
> think that's an improvement...
>
> craig

Yes, but as recently as 7.2 I didn't have that problem. I thought maybe
it had something to do with the recent changes to angle brackets on
includes recently removed.

I've used configure and make with Msys since around version 6.7.

Also, I don't have the problem if using CMake.

I've never been able to use Make Check. That hangs on Msys.

I test pcre using RunTest.bat plus (lately) the cpp exe files.

Until recently I wasn't even trying to build cpp because of various
problems (strange undefined symbols, etc., remember?).

For my use, I'm satisfied. I would like to see Philip include my updates
to the cmake distro files especially since configure/make is getting
hairier in Msys and hand building in Visual Studio is more difficult
than it used to be.

Regards,
Sheri