Re: [pcre-dev] Thoughts about build systems

Autor: Philip Hazel
A: Daniel Richard G.
CC: pcre-dev
Assumpte: Re: [pcre-dev] Thoughts about build systems
On Thu, 6 Sep 2007, Daniel Richard G. wrote:

> This behavior is fundamentally at odds with the notion of
> out-of-source-tree builds, and IMO a compelling argument in favor of
> #include<config.h>.

But the arguments on the other side are:

(1) We do not distribute config.h in the source tree.

    Therefore, the only way it can get there is by someone running
    ./configure in the source tree.

    If you then try to configure outside the source tree, you get an
    error telling you to "make distclean" first, as Bob pointed out.

    So I don't think the issue that you raise ever going to arise in
    practice.

(2) Meanwhile, using <> is confusing and causes problems for people who
    build PCRE by hand.

(3) Whatever the realities of the situation, people have the feeling
    (and I'm one of them) that <> is for "headers from outside this
    application" and "" is for "headers that are part of this
    application".

(4) Other packages use "" successfully without problems (Bob named one).

So, I'm afraid, I am not convinced. Sorry.

Philip

--
Philip Hazel, University of Cambridge Computing Service.