Re: [exim] "Unrouteable address" errors

Author: Andrew Pounce
To: Kevin O'Rourke
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] "Unrouteable address" errors
On Thu, Sep 06, 2007 at 09:22:02AM +0100, Kevin O'Rourke wrote:
> Yesterday I was trying to send an email through our exim 4.50 server.
>
> I kept getting it returned to me with an "Unrouteable address" error.
>
> Checking the logfile I see this:
>
> 2007-09-05 15:28:12 1ISvrX-0000d0-Mx ** xxxx@???: Unrouteable address

Thats odd - I can connect quite well to the MX servers for yyyy.com - I suspect that there will be some problem within your own config.

yyyy.com has address 82.98.86.161
yyyy.com mail is handled by 20 sedo-b.dewile.net.
yyyy.com mail is handled by 10 sedo-a.dewile.net.
yyyy.com mail is handled by 30 sedo-c.dewile.net.

> Could this be caused by some transient DNS problem? There doesn't seem
> to be any other information in the logfile that I can use to trace the
> cause of the error. This morning I tried the address using 'exim4 -bt
> -v' and it seemed to resolve correctly.

That probably depends on your DNS servers - if they can't resolve the domain then they won't be able to route the message.

> The only other odd thing about the address I was sending to was that the
> user's full name included non-ASCII characters. The To: line in the
> email (sent from Mozilla Thunderbird) was something like:
>
> =?ISO-8859-15?Q?Firstname_L=E4stname?= <xxxx@???>
>

> Could that cause such a problem? As far as I can tell exim didn't even
> try to connect to the MX for the domain.

This again depends on your config ( and that of the dewile.net servers ) as to what would be accepted or not.

--
Andrew Pounce
You can rent this space for only $5 a week.