Re: [exim] Error codes

Top Pagina
Auteur: Ted Cooper
Aan: exim-users
Onderwerp: Re: [exim] Error codes
Jeroen van Aart wrote:
> Postini sends "ERROR 571 Message Refused" when it blocks a possible spam
> email. I was not aware one can just freely choose any 5xx code to make
> up an error message. Is postini just ignoring common practice and making
> up their own standards or is this valid?

At first glance I'd say that was perfectly fine because it doesn't start
with the error code, it included in the message which means it's an
extended error code.

5.7.1 translates to:
5.X.X Permanent Failure
X.7.X Security or Policy Status
X.7.1 Delivery not authorized, message refused

The full error message should look like

550 ERROR 5.7.1 Message Refused

when it comes from the mail server. If it doesn't start with that 550
when something is seriously wrong - provided it is actually refused and
should be using 550 of course.

Maybe.
Ted.

--