Re: [exim] usage of smtp_reserve_hosts

Author: Chris Laif
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] usage of smtp_reserve_hosts
On 9/3/07, Philip Hazel <ph10@???> wrote:
> On Mon, 3 Sep 2007, Marian Neubert wrote:
>
> > Just to clarify one thing: is it the listening daemon which temporarily
> > rejects new connecions if smtp_accept_max is reached? Or is this done by
> > the forked child process?
>
> The daemon. The code has this comment:
>
> /* Check maximum number of connections. We do not check for reserved
> connections or unacceptable hosts here. That is done in the subprocess because
> it might take some time. */

As a related question: Is it possible to set those smtp_*max*-limits
depending on the interface used? Background: On my mailserver, one
interface ist used for MX mail-exchange between MTAs and one is used
for message submission (authenticated SMTP on port 25/587). The
problem ist, that all those spam zombies eat up the global SMTP-slots
and then users are not able to submit mails through the
Auth-interface.

I tried something like

smtp_reserve_hosts = ${if
eq{$interface_address}{SERVER_AUTH_INTERFACE}{256}{128}}

but it didn't work (I expected it not to work but tried anyway :)).

Chris