Re: [exim] exim bouncebacks

Author: Magnus Holmgren
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] exim bouncebacks
On Sunday 26 August 2007 00:26, Kristine H wrote:
> bounced emails usually come to my email client. So if I want a list of bad
> (bounced) emails, I need to extract addresses from each message by hand.
>
> I want to create a list of emails that bounce. Can I automate this by
> catching bouncebacks at the server and put the bounced emails into a
> database or a text file ?

Yes and no.

There are two kinds of bounces: Those generated by your mail server internally
and those sent by other mail servers. The first kind can be identified through
them having $caller_uid and $originator_uid equal to that of the Exim user,
and $received_protocol equal to "local". They have a list of failed
recipients in the X-Failed-Recipients header field, which can be processes.
The second kind is trickier since far from all MTAs send easily
machine-readable delivery status notifications. Furthermore, you can often
get bounces for messages neither your server nor any of your users sent, as
well as completely forged bounces, but that might not be a problem.