Re: [exim] updating hints database / new IP address

Author: Magnus Holmgren
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] updating hints database / new IP address
On Saturday 25 August 2007 16:00, Dominique wrote:
> I moved over my mailserver to a new IP address. Everything went rather
> smoothly, until I noticed my secondary DNS (which is out of my control) was
> out of sync and one of the mailserver hostnames is still resolving to the
> old IP address.

But it's a slave for your domain and will be synced eventually?

> Luckily, I route mail through other MX's, which I have control over. I have
> a nice queue of mail just waiting to be delivered. I've set the new IP
> address in /etc/hosts but as I said I cannot control DNS.

Was your primary or your secondary MX moved? Is the mail sitting on the former
primary MX, and have you reconfigured it so that it no longer recognises the
domain in question as local?

If you can't wait for the DNS data to be synchronised, you might have to add a
manualroute router using the byname option, or the IP address directly. See
chapter 20 of the spec. The dnslookup router, as it name suggests, only
queries the DNS, never /etc/hosts.

> How do I update the dns hints database so I can retrieve my mail? I
> couldn't find anything via Google. If I delete the wait-remote_smtp file I
> will surely do some damage? The MXs are serving other domains unrelated to
> this incident.

The wait-* database(s) are unrelated. There is no DNS hints database; host
addresses are looked up on every delivery attempt.

--
Magnus Holmgren        holmgren@???
                       (No Cc of list mail needed, thanks)