[exim] help with greylisting

Author: Rick Pasotto
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] help with greylisting
I'm running debian and have installed the greylistd package. So far as I
can remember the only changes I've made have been to add hosts to the
whitelist. Generally everything seems to be working well.

How can I learn exactly what error message/code I'm returning when an
email gets greylisted? Occasionally, as a result of being greylisted,
legitimate emails have not been retried by the sender. One just happened
yesterday (a subsequent email came through fine) and when I explained
the situation I was told that the sender was running exim and that
normally he would retry but that there are certain messages/codes that
would prevent the retrying.

There have been other similar situations and I would like to better
understand what is actually happening. For example, it looks like the
debian package added the same greylisting code to both
30_exim4-config_check_rcpt and 40_exim4-config_check_data in the acl
directory. Why is that?

--
"I have opinions of my own -- strong opinions -- but I don't always
 agree with them." -- George Herbert Walker Bush