Re: [exim] Bug in Exim->Dovecot Auth SMTP

Author: Chris Laif
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Bug in Exim->Dovecot Auth SMTP
On 7/31/07, John Jetmore <jj33@???> wrote:
> > I'm using SMTP auth with Exim authenticating against Dovecot's auth
> > socket. The (excellent) SMTP test tool "swaks"
> > (http://jetmore.org/john/code/#swaks) tries multiple auth mechanismus
> > consecutively which leads to the following message in Dovecot's log
> > file:
> >
> > Error: auth(default): BUG: Authentication client gave a PID 6738 of
> > existing connection
>
> I don't know anything about the dovecot authenticator, but since you're
> already using swaks, use it to get debug from exim. Start with the same
> arguments you're using now. If you have -s or --server specified,
> remove it. Add something like(*):
>
> --pipe '/path/to/exim -d -bh 127.0.0.1'
>
> This will give you debug as exim tries the authenticator that may either
> lead you down the correct path or you can post it here and get more help.
>
> (*) Full example:
> swaks -q auth -au authuser@??? --pipe 'exim -d -bh 127.0.0.1'

Thanks, John. Unfortunately I couldn't check my setup yet (I have to
modify my rather large exim.conf for that).

Timo Sirainen (Creator of dovecot) wrote on the Dovecot mailing list:

"That probably means that the Exim code creates a second connection. Or
possibly closes the old one and then immediately creates a new one so
that dovecot-auth doesn't notice that the old connection had yet died.

In any case this could be fixed by having Exim use a single connection
for the entire life time of the process."

Chris