Re: [exim] Some advice with Exim parameters to stop throughp…

Author: Ted Cooper
To: 'Exim-users@exim.org'
Subject: Re: [exim] Some advice with Exim parameters to stop throughput reducing to a trickle
paul.mcilfatrick@??? wrote:
> As the part-time admin of an MTA I would appreciate some advice on what
> values to use for Exim's parameters to stop throughput reducing to a
> trickle.

[snip]
> About 99% of all our e-mails arrive from two company edge servers and
> total received is about 20,000 e-mails per day with only around 1,000 of
> genuine e-mails and the rest being SPAM.

[snip]
> Arriving in this morning I issued the top command and it showed 13
> exim-4.63-4 processes, all sleeping, and only 0.4% user cpu usage (this
> is usually more than 50%).

[snip]

Do you have many many messages in your queue (exim -bpc)? Are you trying
to bounce those 20000 spam emails (exim -bp)? Can you verify in the log
file that new queue runners are being spawned? What does exiwhat tell
you those processes are doing? Is clamd/spamd still running and
responding to a PING on the socket?

--
The Exim Manual
http://www.exim.org/docs.html