Re: [exim] 421 SMTP incoming data timeout - message abandon…

Author: Marcin Krol
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] 421 SMTP incoming data timeout - message abandoned(local delivery!)
Thomas Hochstein napisał(a):
>> Intermittently I get errors logged like in subject while mail is locally
>> spam-scanned (traditional method of external scanning and the mail
>> filter re-injecting the message with exim -oMr spam-scanned -bS).
>>

> Why don't you do it during SMTP-time?

Because that's the method I inherited (it's default in our hosting
management package) and it works fine with custom script.

For all the talk about scanning in ACLs I haven't found any example on
the net how to use custom script in ACL during SMTP time, as opposed to
simply connecting SpamAssassin, which I don't like and use statistical
filter (DSPAM) before it plus other tricks in my custom mail filter
under development (like storing authenticated senders and their
recipients in SQL DB and using them to let spam filters know mail from
those addresses is clean, obviously the goal is reducing false positives).

I admit I would prefer this solution - I could do reject or fakereject
(and quarantine), I just don't know ACLs yet well enough to implement
this. I can't just throw not very well tested solution into production
hosts.

>> Does anybody know the cause behind it?
>>

> I bet the scanning process takes too long.

This is really unlikely; the mail in question (that was lost) had a few
KB size, and mail delivery worked just fine before and after this
happened, including the domain of that mail. I have:

smtp_receive_timeout = 5m

The loadavg (which I record in cron job) showed the machine was quiet at
the time. Since this is "Exim to Exim" injection, mail filtering on the
way was not a problem, filtering was already done and the timeout
happened when transport with:

command = /usr/sbin/exim -oMr spam-scanned -bS

..tried to run Exim locally.

--
Marcin Król