[pcre-dev] [Search and Replace Advice] Was: Re: Correct list…

Author: Gavin Henry
To: Nigel Metheringham
CC: PCRE Developers
Subject: [pcre-dev] [Search and Replace Advice] Was: Re: Correct list for usage questions?
<quote who="Nigel Metheringham">
> Hi Gavin,
>
>> Is this list for discussions of developing PCRE, or developing code
>> using PCRE?
>
> Primarily focused on the former. However as there is no dedicated or
> focused forum for PCRE use that would be welcome here too. Should there
> be issues with traffic and focus later we can re-arrange things then.

Excellent. I'll ask away then.

I'm currently designing a small OpenLDAP Core Overlay using PCRE, to apply
a regex to attribute values and apply captures (or not) to a configured
string etc., then return that in a search response.

Kind of like a sed on attribute values. For things like:

"/home/users/(.*)" and returning "/home/$1" etc.

configured like so via "cn=config" or slapd.conf:

<overlay>     <attr-name>   <search_basedn>   <regex>         <string>
valregex-attr homeDirectory dc=example,dc=com /home/user/(.*) /home/$1

The subject is the attribute value and the regex is the re ;-)

I'm really after advice on the best practice to apply the captures etc. on
the configured string and if there is something in PCRE to ease this, or
if it's just best to do it by hand.

Thanks for your time,

Gavin.

--