Re: [pcre-dev] libpcre soname and version

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Magnus Holmgren
CC: pcre-dev, Mark Baker
Subject: Re: [pcre-dev] libpcre soname and version
On Thu, 9 Aug 2007, Magnus Holmgren wrote:

> IIUC, the official PCRE releases didn't build shared libraries until lately,

That's true if you think 01-Feb-2000 is "lately". That's when the first
release (3.0) with libtool support for shared libraries was released.

> whereas the Debian packaging did so from the beginning, or more or less so.

I do not know when Debian first packaged it.

> The libpcre library version in Debian is therefore at 3.12.0, or 15:0:12 in
> libtool's current:revision:age parlance, for PCRE 6.7.
>
> Would you consider synchronizing with Debian when/if the soname has to be
> incremented the next time?

It's a very long time since it was incremented. I have no plans that
would involve the need to increment it in future, but you never know, I
suppose.

Philip

--
Philip Hazel, University of Cambridge Computing Service.