Re: [exim] Special routing for incoming non-SMTP mail: help …

Author: Mike Brudenell
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Special routing for incoming non-SMTP mail: help needed urgently
Greetings -

I've made a little progress, but am still having problems.
Please can someone give me any advice: my deadline is really close now!

On 8 Aug 2007, at 09:26, Mike Brudenell wrote:

> Obviously this is a case for manual_route, but... How do I detect
> whether:
>
>    * the message arrived using non-SMTP (I'm hoping this will
> indicate a failure
>      message that Exim is generating and wanting to return!) -- in
> which case
>      I want to route it to the mail hubs, or

>    * the message arrived over SMTP (ie, from the mail hubs) -- in
> which case
>      it needs to be delivered.

> I'm *sure* I remember Philip mentioning how to test whether a message
> arrived over SMTP or not during the course, but I currently I can't
> locate the information.

I thought I had found the variable I needed: $sender_host_address
contains the numeric IP address of the host transmitting the incoming
message, or is empty for a locally submitted message.

So my first two routers now read:
# This router sends all locally originating messages to a central
smart host.

send_local_origin_to_smart_host:
driver = manualroute
route_data = ${if eq{$sender_host_address}{} {mta.york.ac.uk} {}}
transport = remote_smtp

# This router routes all non-local addresses to a central smart host.

send_to_smart_host:
driver = manualroute
route_list = !+local_domains mta.york.ac.uk
transport = remote_smtp
where "mta.york.ac.uk" refers to our mailhubs.

Whilst this works it causes the problem that a message which can't be
delivered isn't getting deferred and queued for re-try, but instead
the failure notification is sent back immediately.

I'm surprised by this and don't understand why it is happening.

Can anyone help me get locally-submitted messages (including delivery
failure reports) to be routed to our mailhubs, but messages arriving
using SMTP over TCP/IP to be delivered (and deferred/queued if the
recipient's quota is full!).

Panicking slightly now...

Mike B-)

--
The Computing Service, University of York, Heslington, York Yo10 5DD, UK
Tel:+44-1904-433811 FAX:+44-1904-433740

* Unsolicited commercial e-mail is NOT welcome at this e-mail address. *