Re: [exim] Preventing TXT lookups after successful acl modif…

Author: Mar Matthias Darin
To: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] Preventing TXT lookups after successful acl modifier dnslists processing
Hello,

Mike Cardwell writes:

> I was looking for a percentage or a ratio, total mail throughput,
> graphs, comparisons against other filters. Not "5 false positives" which
> is a meaningless figure.

The comparitives of other similar RBLs covers the of issue mail throughput.
DynaStop only needs the IP address, not the entire email.

Resources used by DynaStop in operation:

For the DynaStop client:

%Cpu: 0.0
%Memory: 0.0
Memory Footprint 1712K

Running the DynaStop client 50 times, avg 0.0317 msec (from strace)

For the DynaStop server:
%Cpu: 0.0
%memory: 0.4
Memory footprint: 9920K

Only one server is needed to handle several thousand clients. The DynaStop
server has been tested to 500 connections/second.

> I was asking for total resource usage of dynastop+spamassassin vs
> spamassassin+fuzzyocr. Not, total cpu usage of spamassassin scanning
> lots of messages vs spamassassin scanning less messages.

I will do some research on spamassassin's cpu/memory consumption and post
the results.

> You forgot to address the question that I marked as the question that
> needs to be addressed more than anything.

I did answer your question. DynaStop is not a list of IP addresses, but
rather a collection of patterns to identify dynamic IP addresses.

Here an example: A dynamic IP address, say 126.34.45.55, which is listed by
zen and currently DynaStop.

If the user of that IP address decides to register a domain and provides the
reverse DNS of microwidgets.com, DynaStop automatically disregards this IP
address, zen does not.

> The PBL is not a list of dynamic IP addresses.

Reread the last sentence, PBL clearly lists dynamic IP addresses

> The pattern list looks vaguely interesting. It would be better provided
> as an RHSBL though so people just have to add something along the lines
> of the following config to Exim rather than installing all this cruft:

Not really. In a clustered mail server setting, the $domain variable can be
passed to DynaStop for domains that want no filtering at all. Rather then
adjusting a large number of exim configurations, the administrator need only
adjust the DynaStop server conf file. Plus there is no dependancy of a
network file system, which on a cluster is, in and of itself, a challenge.

---

DynaStop: Stopping spam one dynamic IP address at a time.
http://tanaya.net/DynaStop/