Re: [exim] spam forwarding

Author: Ian Eiloart
To: Judy Angel, exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] spam forwarding

--On 7 August 2007 12:36:42 +0100 Judy Angel <J.Angel@???> wrote:

> We run exim 4, spamassassin and sophos on our mailhub.
> Our policy is to mark incoming spam in the subject line with the word
> spam and deliver the message.

> The end user can then filter messages out.
> I have now come across a problem that a message marked as spam was sent
> to an exim mailing list; the list has a member with an email address at
> an external site which has a policy to junk all spam, and is seeing us
> as sending them spam. The same could happen with a .forward file to
> another site.
>
> What is best practice is such situations?
> how is this best resolved?

It's much better to reject spam. Do all you can in Exim ACLs to reject mail
from RBL listed sites, and so on. Configure Spamassassin to run from an
ACL.

Marking up spam doesn't seem very sensible to me, as users that get lots of
spam are likely to delete it without examining it anyway. Much better to
reject everything that you can - then false positives will be notified to
the sender.

--
Ian Eiloart
IT Services, University of Sussex