Re: [exim] incoming messages, where do they go if incoming …

Author: Mike Cardwell
To: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] incoming messages, where do they go if incoming port is rerouted elsewhere?
Dr. Scott S. Jones wrote:

>>> What will happen to incoming email, if I temporarily reroute ports 25 and
>>> 110, to different machine on my LAN? Where will the email messages go, which
>>> normally would go to my primary machine, running exim4?
>>>
>>> I am trying to run Zimbra on this other machine, and want to know that
>>> incoming email messages won't be lost.
>>>
>>> Help!!!!
>> Er. If you route port 25 to Zimbra, and Zimbra accepts a message, then
>> your mail will go to Zimbra and that will be it. Any remote servers
>> sending mail wont resend the mail to exim later when you point it back.
>>
> Mike:

Hi Scott. You replied to me directly rather than to the list. It's
customary to keep such conversations on list until they become OT.

> That then begs the question. Let's say I have email incoming to
> 'scott@???' but what if Zimbra doesn't have an email account set up
> with that particular name. Does it just sit in limbo on Zimbra until such an
> account it set up? Saved somewhere?

I've not had experience with Zimbra directly but it will do one of the
following:

1.) Tell the connecting mail server that no such account exists. At
which time the sending server will send a bounce back to the sender of
the message and you'll never received it

2.) Accept the message, then realise it doesn't have an account, and
send a bounce back to the sender it's self.

Either way you wont get the mail. Taking this from a different angle,
how about if you continue to allow the mail to be delivered to Exim, and
then you just get Exim to shunt off a second copy of the message to Zimbra?

If that is acceptable, what you want to do is set up a manualroute
router in Exim pointing to Zimbra, and mark it as "unseen". Check out
the docs on http://www.exim.org/ and let us know if you need further help.

Mike